In 1800, about 500+ Maroons from the mountains of Jamaica, arrived and settled in the city of Freetown, Sierra Leone. These Maroons, consisting of several families were from the town of Trelawney (also known as Cudjoe’s Town), located near Westmoreland, Jamaica.
This group of Maroons were the same group that waged the Second Maroon War in 1795 against the British Colonials in Jamaica. After their unsuccessful attempt to defeat the British, they were exiled to Nova Scotia where they spent the next few years. Experiencing similar conditions the earlier Black Loyalists of Freetown had experienced, they also agreed to be sent to Sierra Leone. Their objective was to build a settlement in Freetown, though part of the condition was to aid the British in Freetown suppress the revolting Black Loyalist group there.
In 1800, the Trelawny Maroons along with their families and military captains landed in Freetown just in time to stop an active rebellion between the Freetown Settlers and the British, siding with the British.
In return they received great favor from the British, including land to build their new settlement called Maroon Town. Within a few years, they blended with the Freetown Settlers and both groups began to form a common unit. The Maroons, along with the Black Settlers and the Liberated Africans who arrived later on, form the majority of the ancestral groups of the Sierra Leone Krio people.
Although many Maroon Settlers returned to Jamaica in the mid 1800s, many remained in Sierra Leone, with descendants still there today in Maroon Town.
The ‘Maroon Church’, known as St. John’s was built on Westmoreland Street in the heart of Maroon Town was built in the 1820s. It is one of the Sierra Leone National Monuments.
Siaka Steven Street,
Siaka Steven Street